Saturday, August 27, 2005

Letter August 14, 2005

Dear Jen and Frank,
Hey, how's it going? I'm sitting in my family's (host) courtyard listening to the news in Moore, I don't understand a thing, so I have no problem concentrating. It's been two weeks in country and I've had a great time so far. However, if you could tell everyone who wants to send anything - tell them to send Chocolate. It may melt, but put it in a bag and I'll drink it! :) Overall, I'm good. Learning two languages at once is hard, but would have been harder if I didn't get tutored, Moore is a very simple language, without verb conjugation - it's awesome, but I may not be stationed in a Mossi region, so learning it may be useless.
My host family consists of about 24 people of varying generations and multiple wives. A friendly, gregarious group whom treat me with the utmost hospitality. Only the men speak any French and the women only understand a little. They've been relaxed and patient with my languages, or lack thereof.
The sun is going down so I don't have much time to write, but I'll send a drawing of a few of the kids that are part of my family.
I'm not homesick yet, but I do dearly miss everyone from the States. I hope to get email or phone access soon.
The flies here are constant throughout the day and blessedly dead by nighttime.
I asked about the possibility of your coming and working. They said I need to wait and ask the clinic I'll be working at to see if it's okay. So it'll be at least 3 months before I find out what they would want, if any help at all. I'll write you more about their health system when I have more light and more information. Hope you guys are doing well and write me when you can, take care.
Always, Laura

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home