Friday, March 09, 2007

Here are some traditional dance troupes I saw perform for a NGO that came and visited my village. The whole region turned out to show their interest in working with the NGO. I think the dude(another whitey from france) was somewhat overwhelmed. Anyway, these are the dancers and masks that Burkina is famous for. I actually remember learning about these particular masks and outfits when I was in college learning about the Art of Africa. My professor at the time had written his thesis on Burkina Faso and these mask made up a good portion of our class work. However, I've forgotten most of their specific meanings, but I do remember the outfits are made out of barks of trees that are soaked in water until rotten and fermented. Then dried and fluffed to look like fur. Anyway, here's a little bit of the traditional culture of my village and region.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home