Thursday, October 05, 2006

Hey Happy Days

Hey guys, how's it going? Just about finished with my medical check up in Ouaga and I'll be going back to village tomorrow. In case you were wondering everything looks good, at least in the eyes of the peacecorps. For the first time I have no digestive bacteria at this check up. I'm pretty psyched(just kidding). Um, got my teeth cleaned by a Brazilian dentist who speaks impeccable french(Thank god, i could understand him despite it), so my teeth are temporarily lint free. woo hoo.

Just sent out my lastest batch of letters and hopefully they'll all arrive in good condition with all intended articles. Cross your fingers. I also recieved some kick ass packages in the mail just this week. The first to arrive came from Joy and Mark, so I think the only thing wrong with your address was '6013' instead of needed '6031' as part of the address. The protein bars are perfect and the book sounds pretty good. I started reading the first couple pages and the author sounds like someone I would talk to instead of rolling my eyes at. Thanks, I think I'll enjoy it. It was really nice to hear how you guys are doing. Hopefully you can start ice boat racing this winter to set off the withdrawal of sailing.

A couple days later I recieved two more from my parents and Jayne and Steve. I was really pumped to get both. The books my folks sent arrived just in time. The pickings in our library were getting pretty slim from what books I haven't as of yet read. I'm really stoked to get the orange marmalade too, yum yum yum. The fish filets are a welcome, welcome treat. I've been eating village food for the past few months and the choices of rice or goat meat get a little old after a while. I know I should practice my culinary muscles and figure something out to make with goat meat. But no matter how you try to make it. It's still goat meat and it can be like leather sometimes.
Jayne and steve's package was by all intensive purposes, awesome. The first thing I said when I opened the box was, 'Holyshit!' and then proceeded to cackle with glee. The summer sausage, I'll keep for Thanksgiving or Christmas gatherings here. Wow. There's too much to mention all the little goodies you literally poured in there, but you made such a great effort, I'll almost forgive you for putting my motorcycle in a hoist and trying to make it fly. ;-)~ I looked at the photo's before I read your letter and I was like, what the f***! You and my dad would get along famously, trying odd stunts like that with big toys like yours. (Please don't take that out of context) :-D I'm happy to hear my baby made it through her virgin flight unharmed, thanks taking care of her. Yes, it's a her.
The "Listerine" also made me cackle outrageously, in part, due to the coded packaging, but also due to Dave's recent contribution that arrived not long ago. So now in the transit house, all the volunteers know that my offer of Listerine is usually more than just for mouthwash. Thank you, guys, so much. Thank you.

All you guys have been great and I'm really ready to get this second year started and hopefully have a more productive year. I hope to truly pay you all back with either backrubs or foodstamps. Take your pick. ;-)

1 Comments:

At 11:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL Laura, I knew Steve's creative motorcycle unloading method would give you a heartattack.
No Motorcycles were harmed during the filming. It was a "Kurtworthy" moment, except without Kurt, mishap probability was much lower (sorry Kurt but it's the truth!). The pkg should keep you in style food wise!

Jayne

 

Post a Comment

<< Home