Sunday, September 03, 2006

Letter from 8-12-06

Dear Deb and Kurt
I’m back in village once again, after all too quick one night sojourn on Ouaga. A necessary trip despite its shortness.

I usually to watch whatever horrible film is being shown near my boutique. It’s a TV running off batteries that plays whatever mindless action film the proprieters can find. Charging about 10 cents a person. Tonight’s film was to be Godzilla, the film made in the 90’s. I was somewhat hoping it would have been the original, but a rain started and made that hope moot.

My current frame of mind is good despite some friction with my chief nurse. I mean, despite being forced to work with an asshole, my life in village is good. Sometimes I do have to pinch my self to remind myself where I am, and what I’m doing. I feel the village and my house finally becoming a home despite all of it’s shortcomings. Blessedly the last couple of weeks have cooled off during the rains and my attitude has probably improved because of it also.

Due to the seasons constant threat of rain, the constant shifting and build up of clouds creating tree like fortresses in the sky, it allows for beautiful and constantly changing sunsets. Ambient lighting of pinks and purples brighten my books as I strain to read before the final sunset.

This time the rain came on gradually in a nice sort of introductory way. More often the bending if trees from winds and a sharp temperature change is the brief acknowledgement of an impending onslaught. I believe I appreciate the gentler introduction now that I’ve made it’s acquaintance here. It’s reminiscent of home and it’s constant rhythm isn’t so harsh on my tin roof.

Gentle rains are nice on a tin roof. The can lull you to sleep. Storms are staccato against my thin ceiling verifying if my cracks are tight and my walls are sturdy. Unfortunately, they are neither and I believe a house like mine may last another 2 years at the most with out some major reconstruction. I like my home. It’s the right size for me and it’s courtyard is my sanctuary.

Ill leave you that and hope this letter found you both well. Take care and be safe.
Always,
Laura

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home