Saturday, September 03, 2005

Aug 20 Letter - Training and Waiting

Today is a beautiful day in Burkina. The breeze is blowing and the sun is shining and I only have one fly bothering me at the moment. However my stomach is a bit upset and I didn't sleep well last night due to a headache. Besides this little hiccup in my health, things are going smoothly here.

I'm getting to know the Moire language and my French is improving. It takes a little more effort to stay healthy here, but overall things haven't been all that tough. Despite saying that, this sudden change in environment for several trainees is too much and many have left or plan on leaving. I don't feel the need to do that. I can't deny I miss everyone in the states, however, I would feel great disappointment in myself if I did decide to leave early. They make it relatively easy to leave. No questions asked and you're on a plane home. I think maybe knowing how easy it would be is a comfort, but also for me not an option yet.

I plan on getting a cell phone after training, but until then, these letters are all I may have for correspondence.

My host family is very hospitable. My host father goes out of his way to get me little loaves of bread or tea for my breakfast. These people don't have much at all, but they're willing to give everything to make me feel welcome. I'm constantly humbled by them and their kindness. I hope I can live up to their expectations and hopes.

I'm getting a little anxious for mail, so if you send anything, that'd be great! Also, if you know someone sending a care package, next time I'd like a compass. There's really no maps around to speak of, so you kinda have to rely on your own orienteering.

The pace here is incredibly slow. Playing cards has been the regular evening entertainment. My free time besides that has been spent swatting flies and writing letters and in my journal. That allows for a lot of daydreaming and sketching to also occur. Which is good.

My schedule so far has been filled with class 6 days a week and rest on Sunday. The classes are a very informal environment to practice sentence structures and technical data. Usually, we have a half hour break during each morning and afternoon session along with a 2 hour lunch. The sunset comes quickly at 7:30pm sharp. Depending on how bright the moon is, the stars become countless.

I have two children watching me at the moment enthralled by my actions or enthralled by the color of my skin. Anyhoo, things are slow and sure here, but next June in Waupaca seems a long time in waiting!
Take care
Laura

2 Comments:

At 4:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lola,

Will be sending Compass, Magazines and Power bars hopefully within the week

Bert and Co.

 
At 11:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Girl..
We sent beef jerkies, power bars, chocolate and a hot pink fly swatter just for you :-) We hope the package makes it in one piece!
Miss you much,
Adi & Rod

 

Post a Comment

<< Home