Friday, January 20, 2006

Tele-center central

Hulllooooo.
I'm just in for my monthly direct input and hope you guys are recovering well from reading the previous blog on excision. ;-) I had a bad day at the office and needed to vent, thankfully Joy was kind enough to post that extended letter for me despite it's content.
Okaaayy, I have new news and a little lesson in French and Moore if you'd like.
We just got phone lines(still no cell phone coverage) in To. So now there's a somewhat reliable way of getting a hold of me if you need to or would just like to chat.
Every Sunday,My time 1PM to 3PM I usually reserve about 2 hours of my days trying to make phonecalls. My local time is 6 hours ahead of Central Time U.S.(CTUS)(depending on daylight savings). So I usually start waking people up around 7 AM CTUS and then go from there until about 9 AM CTUS. If you would like to call me now in To, a good number to call is 011-226-50-41-35-08. However, if I'm not in To, my cell phone which is 011-226-76-48-91-29 will get a hold of me while I'm traveling in Burkina.
Now here is where the fun part begins. You can call me in To on other days than Sunday if you'd like, cause the guy who runs this line is a good friend of mine and he'll take messages for me. He and his wife speak a little English and I gave them a script to go by if some English-only speakers call. Thus this is the script:

You: Hello, Is the Nasara there?

Them: A: Yes, she is near, please wait.
B: No, she is not here. Is it important?

You: A: No, I will call back at five PM(our time, your time either 11AM or noon USCT). My name is _________.
B: Yes, Please get her, I will wait. My name is ________.

The key will be to speak clearly and slowly enough for them to process your phrases. Everyday, I usally go by the telecenter and chat anyway with my friends and I'll check to see if anyone has called. Now the fun part will come in when you try to say your name. If you have R's in your name, try to remember to roll them or they won't hear/notice them. For example, my name is pronounced like- Lorrrra.

Aaaah, good luck other wise. If they don't get your name, no big deal, just call back at 11AM or noon time.
Now if you want to go native or froggy, I'll teach you how to do that in the next post.(Big smiles)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home