Sunday, December 18, 2005

Letter to Hedlund's - Nov 30

The pics are great and I can't wait for the next batch. However, my camera was stolen, so no more pictures for a while. I think I'll wait until I get back to the states in June to get another. There aren't any decent one's here to invest in.

My schedule is filling and hopefully my work will improve even more. I've started working with the local high school forming a monthly sensibilization class, along with scheduling small group discussions that are going to meet bi-weekly. We'll be discussing AIDS, condoms, pregnancy, and feminine rights in the sensibilization. In the petite groups, we'll probably end up talking about sex, exicision and other taboo topics. The schedule I set up is pretty tight, but I hope I can make it work. This culture isn't known for it's promptness. This will take up a good portion of my time during the week.

The morning's I dedicate working at the maternity, doing vaccinations or sensibilizations in other villages, and/or meeting with community leaders. I teach one hour of English on Sundays and I meet with the Committee of Health and health agents each once a month. Sunday from 11-2 is my time, however. That's when I go to Tabou and make phone calls to family and friends. That time, and this time that I take to write, is my time to vent or speak English normally to people I know.

I miss material things less and less. The loss of the camera didn't excite me because it didn't have any good photos on it and it was old. Getting on the internet doesn't really thrill me unless I see a note left by someone on the blog.

Being forced to budget is a new experience that's rather humbling. I like it for that. Being single in the military, I never had to worry about my budget, but here it's a must. If I want to do the things I want to do, I put aside the planned amount needed and make sure it's not touched. The feeling of wanting to buy something, but can't keeps you grounded pretty quickly. I think I really needed that after the military. It also deliniated the needs and wants pretty quickly and you end up doing without the wants a lot easier than you realize. Once the wants are out of reach, they become nominal and you find easy fillers to take their place until they become needs.

My needs right now are health, friends and family. Not in that particular order, but that's what I need; everything else is just filler. My wants are music, art and a cold diet coke. I've got 2 out of 3. That ain't bad!

Am I happy with my job? Not yet, I haven't really done anything to change things here for the better. Once I see some results, maybe, I'll tell you then.

Am I happy with my life? That's a tough one to explain. At this point in my life, I'm very happy to be where I'm at, but I'm not done yet, so I can't judge my life by this point. I consider myself one of the luckiest people in the world to be doing what I want to be doing with the support of my family and friends that I have. The fact I've avoided almost all office work in my life is amazing and I hope to continue to do so.:) I don't hate computers, I just hate the idea of doing anything remotely like work on them. PowerPoint is of the Devil!! Say it with me....Good. Now, go outside and be one with nature. He He! Just kidding. Get back to work!!

Hope you have an excellent holiday season. Take care
Love, Laura

1 Comments:

At 12:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! It was great to talk to you this past weekend! If you post your new phone number we can call! You be careful and enjoy yourself - life is full of gifts and surprises for those who take the time to experience them like you are doing! Most of life's gifts have nothing to do with the material items, but the majority of folks will never understand that. You may not see the differences you are making over there, but trust me I know you have made a difference and have touched many peoples lives! Its the little things - the smiles and the laughs...the love!!
Love and miss you much girl!
Adi & Rod

 

Post a Comment

<< Home