Monday, November 21, 2005

To the Hedlund's 11-2-05

I'm getting settled into my new home. I've begun painting the walls of my courtyard which measures about 20-25 ft by 30 ft. My home is a 2-room house made of cement and wood, with a tin roof. It's actually pretty nice. I've decorated the walls, using rope and twine draped across the rooms to hold up pictures. I have no electricity, but plenty of furniture and a pretty nice latrine/shower stall to keep clean.

I do have a girl, a maid of sorts, that comes everyday to clean and help get me water for my baths and drinking. She doesn't do a very good job, but to fire her would probably alienate the only cool neighbor I have. Alas, that's how it is here.

I'm chilling out at home cause there's a political rally going on down the street and that's a big no-no to be around. There's an election, national, coming up in a few weeks and everything "should" go pretty smoothly, but being a 3rd world country you never know. This is actually a pretty stable country considering how poor it is. Everyone here is pretty relaxed about the elections. Their only real concern is the war going on in Cote d'Ivore, a neighboring country.

As you might already know, I can't get to an area of reception very easily. It's actually about 20-25 kilometers away and by that time I can't get home in time before dark. So I'm going to have to change times of calling to Sunday's only. I don't know the time yet, but I'll try to call folks and work it out that way for now. They're putting in a land line in TO and hopefully by the end of December or January there will be a phone only about 200 yds away that I can schedule better call times.

I hope you guys are doing well and the kids are doing well in school. Tell me if it's getting cold there or not. It's still in the 90's here and time seems to stand still because of it, seemingly the weather not changing. Take care and have a good November.
Love Laura

NOTE: Laura asked for some iPod accessories for Christmas. I found one of them but our Best Buy did not have an "iPod recharger that works off batteries". If anyone can find them and can fit them in a Christmas care package, she would REALLY like to have them!! Please leave a note on the blog so we know!!

ALSO: I received more pictures!! I'll try to post them soon!
Mary Ann

2 Comments:

At 12:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think a solar powered charger would be better for her I-pod. I don't know if they specifically exist for them, but other electronics use them and they work fine. Boaters and RV'ers use them.

 
At 8:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found a recharger that runs off 9 Volt batteries. I ordered 2 and will send it to her soon!
Mary Ann

 

Post a Comment

<< Home