Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Letter to Jen and Frank

Dear Jen and Frank,
How's tricks in San Fran? Been enjoying your new life outside of residency? I bet. Live it up girl, you deserve it.
How's everyone else in S.F., like the Iowa Sailing Club of S.F.? Tell everyone "Hi" for me, whenever you see 'em.
Things are good in Burkina Faso, and I'm almost done with training and a friend is traveling to the states so I'm trying to squeeze in another letter for her to take back, before all my pens die.
Things are going pretty good, but lately there's been a couple pretty hilariously disgusting things that I've witnessed and I just had to write them to someone. One of the events occurred about a week ago. I was chilling in my courtyard watching the kids play when I noticed one of the kids, who's about 18 months old, squatting to take a crap. They usually don't have pants on kids of that age, mostly because no one can afford diapers. And it's easier just to wipe them up after they're done. However you gotta be spry with the naked baby, you never know when they'll blow. Anyhoo, this kid is having a serious case of diarrhea, right there in the courtyard and right next to him are about 3 chickens pecking away hungrily at his feces. I was shocked and disgusted, but I also started laughing. I couldn't help it. Anyhoo, the kid gets up and moves away from the chickens to crap like 5 feet away, and they follow right behind him, waiting for the next pellet of food. I cringe even now when I think of it. Anyhoo, I had a really good chicken soup dinner a couple days later ;) It's true.
The other one happened today. I was having my breakfast of tea and bread when I needed to clear my throat. So I did. I spit the phlegm onto the ground not too far away from my seat. Well shortly thereafter the family dog, Bobii, comes trotting up hoping for a pat on the head. I am in the middle of eating so I'm not touching him. So he decides to wander and he immediately goes to my spit and licks it up. Phlegm and all. Isn't that a great story! I hope you're not eating anything at the moment :) Probably just ruined your appetite. You're welcome.
There was another odd occurrence yesterday when I came home from class. I was chilling with one of my "grandmothers" and one of the kids, who's about 14 months, walks up and hands me a string. At first, I thought, no big deal. Then I notice a live bird attached to the string. That's when I noticed something wierd. The kid was so nonchalant about it. I handed him back the string, with the live bird hanging upside down very calmly. I started laughing at the random nature of the incident. Kids here play with anything that's available. There's no designated toys. There's plastic sacks, sticks, mud, parts of flashlights, bits of metal, and animals. Those are the regular source of "toys" these kids got. I once saw a plastic figurine that had a couple limbs missing.
My timex ironman watch has become a piece of constant fascination with the kids because it lights up indiglow. It's very exciting for these kids.
Also because of their limited exposure beyond their general surroundings, everything that I own is exotic. So unfortunately, I have to guard it, unless I want it gone or broken. Even my clothes are fascinating for the kids to play with so I'm careful about how long I let my clothes out to dry. Their interest, although somewhat innocent, is intense. It's not uncommon to gain a following while walking through a marche or have 7 to 8 kids just watch you write a letter for 30-40 minutes. I thought my privacy in the military was scarce, here it's practically non-existent.
Things could be worse though. I better let you go since this is the fourth pen I've needed to write this letter. Take care and hopefully see you soon.
Always,
Laura

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home