Saturday, October 22, 2005

A Poem-by a fellow trainee describing our 3 months of training

The following is a forwarded message from members of my class. It is an explanation and a poem that encompasses sooooooo many things about our experiences here. I thought you would like to read it. Enjoy!
:

Some people have requested to read my poem that I
wrote for the talent show I mentioned in my previous
email. Although it loses some effect when not acted
out (for certain parts) and if you haven't actually
experienced the culture and customs of Burkina, I have
decided to go ahead and send it. However, all parts
may not be appropriate for all parties. Readers'
discretion advised!

For a little bit of background knowledge, first make
sure you have read my previous email, then also know
that "Nassara" is what they call all white people or
highly educated people here. I can be walking down
the street and literally have groups of people,
children and adults alike, chanting or shouting,
"Nassara, nassara!" A little uncomfortable, but I'm
getting used to it! For the part about the sessions,
we tend to have sessions where they tell us the exact
same thing several sessions in a row...gets a little
monotonous.

ETing is short for Early Termination (ing?!).
Basically, people who can't handle it or decide this
is not for them and head back to the states.

To (pronounced toe and it actually has an accent over
the o, which I couldn't figure out how to type) is a
sort of grainy food the consistency of oatmeal that
has been sitting out for a few hours and you dip it
into a sauce that oddly resembles very green snot.
Appetizing. Who knows?! Maybe it will turn into my
next favorite food!

A MIF kit is a type of sample you put together so they
can see if you have parasites. Use your imagination
as to what sort of sample that might require.

In their culture, whenever you eat something, it is
the polite thing to do to invite other people to join
you, even if it is as small as a granola bar or a
cookie. They always say "Bon Appetite!" before meals
and "Bon Digestion" after meals. Interesting. Never
thought to wish someone well on their digestion!
Another cultural norm is when you great someone, you
ask them how they are, how their family is, their
work, their health, etc. before you go into anything
else. It can get kind of laborative for us Americans
who are used to getting down to business. (Is
laborative a word? Now that I'm learning French, I
sometimes feel like I'm losing some of my English or
making up words that never existed. Oh well, you get
my gist!)

I haven't come up for a title yet, but I was thinking
perhaps "Burkina WHAT?!"

One day I got inside a plane,
Sat down, slept, and woke up again.
A voice came over the speaker loud:
"It's a safe landing," she said real proud.
"Time for fun and beautiful sand,
Lots of sun, have your passports in hand
For AFRICA," she said. But MY stop was FRANCE!!!
I dozed too long now I've missed my chance!
Oh well. Burkina will do just fine.
I'm sure I'll find beaches and have a great time.
I followed the crowd and SOMEHOW became
A Peace Corps trainee, so to Gourcy I came.
Met lots of people whose name was like mine.
Apparently "Nassara's" the name of the times!

The first week here, I made several friends.
We ate lots of food, but it came out BOTH ends.
One friend has a "friend" who eats all her food,
Lives in her stomache, puts blood in her poo.
She's taken the meds to banish this "friend"
But he insists on staying, so she's in Ouaga again.

Flexibility and patience--they said were the key,
But with so many changes, is my nose now my knee?!
The sessions drone on, my mind is in space,
They keep speaking French--What's up with this place?
"You must persevere." "You must dress just right."
"Shake everyone's hands and don't drink at night."
"Here women, they have more work than the men."
What?!!! Am I having DEJA VU again?!

They said we need enough French to swear-in.
Well I can say "Merde" with the best of them,
And other words that aren't very nice--
So I wonder: will these swear words suffice?
And speaking of merde, What's that you say?
We're making a stove out of donkey doo today?!
Dirt of the termites, some water and spice,
Then I'm SURE that the flavor'll be Quite Nice.

Adoption number one, a new family, a new name,
A new house, a new routing--NOTHING's the same!
The voyage was long and I drank too much.
Could you kindly show me the restroom and such?
A HOLE IN THE GROUND?! Where's my porcelain throne?
I peed on a frog cuz I thought it a stone!
And when I am sleeping and deep in my dreams
I am suddenly wakened by some sounds--quite obscene.
A fog horn? No sir. That's the "Cock-a-doodle-doo"
And the bray of the donkey saying "Good morning to
you!"
The sounds of the beasts and the smells of the street.
I've been here so long, they ALMOST seem sweet.

Adoption number two--more changes ahead.
They might not speak French, but at least we'll be
fed!
Segregation returned--all blacks on one side;
The Nassaras on the other--chairs were supplied.
The time s-l-o-w-l-y passed. We sat...and they stared.
He read off the names, but I wasn't prepared!
He said THEIR names first and THEN he said ours...
Oh no! What's their name? I'd be wondering for hours.

Now the simplest things can bring me such joy,
Like licking the chocolate from off of its foil,
Semi-cool drinks, the arrival of mail,
Sweet creamy yogurt, and bread...that's not stale.
Toilets that flush and fans that spin fast,
Showers that work....(as long as the water lasts).

Now training is ending, for Ouaga we yearn,
But first let's reflect on ten things that we've
learned:
The left hand's an insult and "okay" is nil.
ETing's more common than getting a chill.
The food groups consist of pasta and rice,
French bread and to and meat--for a price.
Cough when you're peeing, so no one comes in.
Bringing honey on transport's a deadly sin.
If you're sick do a MIF kit, and then get some rest.
Knees are quite sexy, but boobs...they're just
breasts.
Don't eat without offering a bite to each one,
and wish them a "good digestion" when they're done.
Always ask, "How's the famil? How's the work?
How's the house? How's your sleep? How's the dog?
How's your shirt?"

Well...
Soon we'll be fluent in our local tongue,
Soon we'll be working and think TRAINING was fun!
Soon we'll eat to each and every night...
Now we're headed for victory, we're headed for site!!
We're ready, we're anxious, Look out! Here we come!!
The Nassaras are ready to make Burkina our home.

By Tracey "Bintu" K. Olivier

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home