Saturday, October 22, 2005

Letter to Adi & Rod

Mid-September letter

Hey Adi and Rod,
How's it going? Ihope you guys are doing well. I miss hanging out with you two. (Much Later)
I started this letter on a bus heading from Ouaga back to my training site. The last two weeks have been hectic in a good way. We left our training village, Mako, after 2 weeks of staying with them and then headed for Gourcy for additional training. Stayed in Groucy for a few days and found out our sites for the next two years. Mine is in the south, a village called To. It is a pretty good sized town for the type of work I will be doing. After finding out our sites, I found out most of my descent friends are scattered far, and far away from me. Next we are headed up to Ouga to do our counterpart workshop, we met w/our village counterparts and I got culturally more aware of where I am headed. My counter part, her name is Madume Sawedago, A line is pretty cool and nice. However, my working counterpart who decided not to show up and sent for her instead is a little bit of a punk. But I am sure we’ll get along well enough eventually 
We left Ouaga for my site visit for three days. Here is when I got a glimpse of my life for the next two years. There’s a lot of good things in To. Electricity, a market, a descent home and a soccer field right behind me. So I am rather looking forward to living there. My work environment has some issues that need to be worked out, but overall I think I’ve got a good place to stay. You should come and visit and I’ll give you the grand tour of Burkina. If you do come, whenever, bring some diet coke please!!
After getting adjusted to my site, OH by the way, already, there’s these two cats and a dog waiting for me from the previous volunteer. The two cats are awesome, they’ve been killing all the lizards, crockroaches, and ect. While I’m there. They kick ass.
I went back to Ouaga via bush taxi which was quiet and experience. Think of a regular sized Japanese style van and now picture it w/ 20 people, luggage inside and then picture 10 bikes, a scooter, a motorcycle, 3 more people, 3 bags of grains, a bunch of luggage and a goat on the top. That was my ride for 5 hours. I covered myself in a wrap to keep the dust off of me from an open window. My knees really started to bother me the last hour of the trip having been in the same bent position for so long.
Arriving at Oguaga, I toured about the city on a taxi trying to find the Peace Corps Hostel. Finding it after using two different taxis I met up w/ some other classmates and settled in for the night. We headed out to dinner at this Italian place restaurant that makes its own ice cream. Fantastic! The meals and desserts are very expensive but worth the trip every few months. I think my meal was 14 bucks which would normally pay for 20 meals. Also a little splurge when all you get is rice and grits.
I just got four letters in the mail. I was so happy I cried for the 1st time since being here!!! They were from my parents, my sister Mary, the Jeans of Kentucy and Ashley. My whole week has been made so far. Such a wonderful thing to get mail – indescribable. With that I’ll end this letter to start a new one in order to reply. Tack care.
I appreciate all of your help!
Always,
Laura

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home