Saturday, October 14, 2006

LCupdates

LCupdates
Letter from Laura written 09/29/06
Dear Susan
Hey Suzy, how's it going? Sorry I missed your call the other day. I figured I'd better start writing letter more anyway, be it those phone calls can add up pretty fast. Thanks for calling back by the way. Not too much has changed since we talked last, except a few funny things with my villagers friends.
The other night I was sitting outside at the telecenter with a few locals who've had a little schooling in French & English. We're chatting randomly and they're trying different phrases in English out on me, when all of a sudden one starts belting out in garbled Ebglish the lyrics to "We are the World". The congruity of him singing that song in Africa, and not knowing the meaning of the lyrics, struck me so funny. I kept asking him to keep singing, giggling the whole time., he thought I was laughing at his voice. I couldn't explain my gigglesexactly, but it struck me silly. We moved onto music of Bob Marley and shooting sherifs, which was entertaining also.
Today, anothergoofy Burkinabe offering, I was scheduled to do a sensibilization to a cartier named Teberou. Ususally when I program these I have a friendwho works at the localgovernment office send an official message with starting the time & date that I'll be arriving, so as to facilitate the families/cartier's reception.
Well this morning all was set except the family chief. He had been drinking dolo (locally made wine) for the past two days and has to be coherent enough to attend and organize his cartierr. Thus, the sensibilization was cancelled due to a drunk family chief. Times like these, you can't plan around a nd all you can do is laugh and roll your eyes.
Last Sunday was the beginning of Ramadan. The big Islamic fasting that lasts 30 days. They can only eat before light (4:30 am) and after dark (6:30 pm). What makes this especially difficult, is that this fasting is smack dab in the middle of harvest time. These folks will be working their asses off while going on little or no food. They can only drink water throughout the day. Near the end of the day they walk around in a slight daze, then they get to eat. Immediately after this there is a service in their mosque that usually lasts for 2 hours, then straight to bed where they sleep until 4:00 am. Eat their fill and try to make it through the next day. It's really tough for some.
I'm glad I'm not muslim, but I have a volunteer friend who's village told her they would give her a bull if she would convert. She's still thinking about it.
Well thta's all for now. Hope this finds you in marathon shape and ready yo kick butt.
Good luck and have fun! Talk to you soon.
Love Laura

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home