Sunday, April 22, 2007

"à&=è housing issues

Okay, before i get into the details of my housing issues, I gotta tell you the little welcome home i got from Burkina yesterday. I was riding on a bus minding my own business. The woman sitting next to me had a cute little 4 year old boy sitting on her lap. i was about to fall asleep when i feel something on my leg. I look down and the woman has her boy standing on the bus's floor pissing on the floor next to and onto my leg! Let's just say i wasn't happy. I pick my backpack off the floor to avoid the soaking. I cuss in English, obviously displeased and tell the woman, "Next time you child has to piss, don't let him piss on me!" Funny how i wasn't even mad he was on the bus at the time. Jayne, not one word from you about pissing dogs. Good times, Anyhoo, onward to housing stuff.

Okay, so my house, the one that fell down finally got fixed, but it took nearly an act of God to get it done. In the beginning of January, my asshole nurse got notice from the district that he would be moving. Well, the asshole and health committe used that as an excuse that the next incoming chief nurse would have to take care of my housing problem. In the meantime my "barely scrapping by" health committe somehow found enough money to begin construction on a building that would be the personal office of the chief nurse and cashier window. Built out of cement(very expensive). Well, January went by and February was almost done and this dirt poor committee had done nothing to fix my house, but they still were paying for the rent(9000 cfa/month) of the house i was in. So, mid-feb, my boss comes down and sees all the construction that not being done on my house, but for the clinic, that she puts the question to them,"How can you afford this nice new building, but can't afford to repair the volunteer's house?"(Which would be comparitively inexpensive) Needless to say they couldn't answer her. She gave them til the 1st of Mar to fix the house or they would lose the possibility of a replacement volunteer.
Well, March 1st came and went without repairs. They were still waitng for the new nurst to come to do the repairs. I then told them that, the nurse is NOT my boss, I don't work for him, I work for the village and it's the committee's responsibility, not the nurses for my housing. They were going to lose me as a volunteer by the end of the month if they didn't get their act together and they would be shamed by the village. The committee actually laughed at my outburst so I told my boss, that the only way they would listen was if their district doctor told them to.
So my boss call the district doctor and told him of the situation. He was pissed, apologized, and told my boss that they would fix the house immediately. The day after he called the village, the house was fixed. Ridiculous, I know, but this stupid health committee was willing to let my house fall apart and still pay rent totaling over a 100'000cfa and have nothing to show for it. Now at least they have a house repaired and ready for less than half that. Idiots.
I moved in right before I left for vacation, and it's been 3 weeks since I've been back. The rains have started and i'll be curious if the house is holding up okay or not. There was a hole in the tin roof that isn't probably fixed by now so probably most of my stuff is probably soaked and rotting. I can't wait to go back to village!
Yeah!
Actually, I do miss being in village a bit. I am looking forward to relaxing again and seeing folks again. Well, that's enough for now. Gotta go.Take care, more to post soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home