Sunday, September 11, 2005

Hey, again, Sept 11th

I sent my brother a description of a day in the life of B.F. trainee, so I'll try not to repeat that. Just let everyone, know, we found out our sites yesterday, and my site is a village called "To". It's in the southern part of B.F. and has about 10,000 people in it. It's about 40 miles away from Ghana. In all comparison, it's a pretty big town for the type of job I'm doing.
For those who aren't quite sure, I'm a health extension agent. Meaning, I work as a liaison between the local clinic(CSPS) and the villages it serves. There are community members that work with the clinic(COGES) and help design a local health care plan to best serve the community, for example, coordinating for vaccinations throughout the villages or creating community awareness about health problems, for example, how to prevent malaria or HIV/AIDS. That's officially my primary project, but my secondary projects can include micro-credit groups, creating a girls group, or educating informally door to door with my neighbors.
My assignment is quite a bit away from other volunteers, but it has alot of bonuses too. Like, it has a market and a bus station, which is huge, when you want to travel easily or when you need food. I'll be learning the local language of Moore and probably a bit of a few others that are in the region. I'll try to send some more drawrings as soon as I can.
Our training is complete on October 21st, the night of the swearing-in we are planning a Halloween party. What should I go as? I hope to talk to you all soon, I gotta go, take care;
Laura

1 Comments:

At 3:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Laura, and other friends, Sent a package on Tuesday, Sept. 13. PO says you should receive in 10 working days. Bert, Laura and I sent compass, power bars, chocolate, m&m's, kitchen knife and towels. Maybe others will fill in the list that you need.
jj/ky

 

Post a Comment

<< Home