Saturday, October 21, 2006

Letter from 9/29/06 -- Visitors?

Mary and Jeff,
What do you think of bringing the kids to Africa? Ha! That would be a field trip they'd never forget. Just kidding about the trip. I would love to have visitors but I can't really envision anyone in particular coming despite all the fun facts I've posted on my blog. There have been quite a few volunteers have parents, siblings, and friends visit, and it'd be great to be able to share the real smells and sites of Burkina. However, I think I shot myself in the foot by bitching like a banshee over the difficult lifestyle here.

It is difficult, different and strange compared to the U.S., but definitely a worthwhile experience. At the very least, to appreciate things at home even more. Only so much can be explained and conveyed with words and photos. The smells and sounds pervade the experience. The cacophony of multiple languages being spoken, mixed and understood. The smell of the market and food being prepared in someone's home. The scenes being played out at the clinic daily. The drawn faces of hard work and loss due to death. The beautific smiles and laughter that are no way clearly conveyed with a photo.

Ultimately the feeling of being a foreigner. Being misunderstood. Unable to communicate. Being stared at constantly, being watched and being the center of attention despite your attempt not to. Being harrassed, hasseled and harangued because you're white, all in a joking manner. Those feelings can't be fully communicated and understood until you've been there and felt it for yourself.

So I guess that would be the ultimate challenge. Someone to UPS their ass here to visit. I can envision someone actually putting a barcode on their butt, and stuffing themselves in a care package filled with goodies to last them the two week expedited delivery to Africa. Make sure you put breathing holes in the box. Customs might be a bitch, but just label yourself as "mouthwash" and you should be clear and free. It works for everything else : )

I can't really expect anyone to come here, actually. Ticket prices usually range from $1600-$2600 and that's a tad steep. The incredible amount of care packages I've already received has made me count my blessings several times over already and I couldn't be more ingratiated to all my family and friends. I feel I'm quite wealthy in life indeed, despite my current paycheck.

Anyway, I'm still waiting on the Chinese Buffet to be delivered before I expect anyone to pop up out of a care package : )
Looking forward to the sweet and sour chicken! Hope this finds you all well!
Take care!
Laura

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home