Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Malaria

Dear Mom a d Dad, 28-9-06
Things ae goin okay here.My work is progressing at a regular Burkina rate and the farmers are getting ready to harvest.
Unfortunately, a friend or mine is very sick with malaria and I'm quite concerned how she'll turn out. My friend is Aminata, the same woman whose wdding I attended and wrote about. I found out she was ill as I arrived back from OUAGA YODAY. i IMMEDIATELY WENT TO VISIT HER AT THE SLINIC. sHE DID NOT LOOK LIKE THE GIRL, NOW WOMAN, i KNEW. hER JAW WAS COCKED AT AT AN ODD ANGLE DUE TO PAIN, HER FACE WAS PALE AS i HAVE EVER SEEN A bURKINABE. hE EYES WERE CLOUDY AND ROLLING. sHE WAS IN BAD SHAPE. sHE HAD SLIGHT TREMORS, FROM WHICH i UNDERSTAND HADSUBSIDED QUITE a lot. (sorry about my typing, jc) The tremors are a sign of severe shock due to malaria. Meaning this case is life threatening.. Most often cases of malaria are mild and if caught can be controlled and remedied. Severe cases are caused most often by lack of action.i.e. not going to the clinic for medicine or care.
I was told she began taking medicine yesterday,but it may have been too little too late. Now she's in IV's with a direct injection of quinine and ampicillin to battle shat's running rampant inside. I'm concerned for her and I know I would be hit hard if she dies, thus I did something I never do. I gave her husband money to pay for the treatment. They may or may not have enough money for her treatment, I didn't care. I let them know the money was for her health and if she needed to be transferred to the regional hospital, do it with my money. I don't know if y money would be the difference between he life or death, but ingood conscience, I couldn't allow the latter without doing something.
By giving the money, I've effectively claimed her as my charge and hve become he "Tante" or great-aunt. Someone of influence and charge that has taken responsibility for her care. I guess that's okay as long as they realize the money is for her and not the entire family. We'll see what the repercussions will be. I'm a little nervous about going back. I really hops her husband didn't tell them allabout mydonation. It might have been achoice too quickly made, but I don't think I'll regret it in the long run. I hope not.
Tomorrow I'll check up on her, she might hve been transferred already and I won't know for a couple of days. Miss you and take care. Love, Laura

Oct. 15 Dear Mom and Dad,
How is it going? Not too bad here. Right now its 87 in the shade and at least 95 in the sun. The weather has turned hot and dry and dry season is starting to change the plants and nights. The harvestin has started and the nights are becoming hot and dry enough to be dehydrated in the morning. I'm begining towonder if the US could have the same work schedule without air conditioning. I'm betting , during the summer, people would revolt.
I find myself scurrying to get out of the direct sunlight, rushing fromone shade to another, like jumpingfrom one piece of furniture to another, trying not to touch the floor. The mere concept of sun bathing is so ridiculous to me here, that I mentally roll my eyes at tanning salons and beach goers basting themseelves under therays.
My daily habit of puttinon #45 facialsunscreen 2 or 3 times a day, and #60 for my arms just barely keeps my face and arms a light brown. Days that I happen to forget or am too lazy to pu on the second or third coat, I burn and have to endure the following weeks sensitively. I spend almost all of the daylight hours outdoors. amostly, in the shade. But, the ambient light reflected off all surfaces is enough to damage. As you cantell, I've gotten really concerned about my skin during my sojourn.
What fascinates me is the utter lack or care the localshave or their skin in the sun. They're skin is often the color and reflection of black or dark brown velvet. Their genetic fortitude allows them free reign throughout the day to work under the direct sun rays , shirtless and hatless. Despite this exposure, their facial skin is clear and as soft as fresh snow. No blemishes mark the faces here as acne often does to me. There's np "wonder" facial treatment that the locals follow that I have yet tocrack. Theyare just genetically better prepared to deal with the intense sun rays than I. I compensated by wearing stifling long ssleeves and long pants, along with layers of cream. Long brimmed hats and sunglasses to help combat the glare. None of which seem to bother the locals or their eyes. How's like a fish our of water am I!
Would they suffer in the cold or just pur on another layer of thermals to compensate for the lack of body fat that so easily rests on us? Would their high metabloism work against them in the energy sapping arctic? It would be interestin to note. My slower metabolism allows weight gain easily in the face of all this work and sweat. Watching how biological differences have develope over history, its easy to discount myself as at the height of human evolution.
That's it fornow, sorry for that ramble.. Love, Laura

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home