Sunday, October 22, 2006

Oct. 9, 06

Dear Aunt Mary,
I just recieved you letter and got quite a chuckle from your episode w/the bread-maker. I hope you don't mind, i shared that paragraph w/a friend who also got a kick out of it.
I hope this letter finds you in good spirits and hearlth. My spirit is in...[missing rest of paragraph becuase of damaged letter.]
(I am) at the halfway mark in my service, I've been here for 13 months andif I leave in September, as I hope to, I have just over 12 to go. It's a nice thought, but at the same time perplexing. Mentally, I feel the furthest away from people in the U.S. There are feelings I don't feel able to express fully in letters and there are thoughts I'm unable to place in words, to even begin expressing. It's a boring spot to be in, a rather dull lull in thinking. But I'm working and doing things in my village to pass the time, but my thoughts are scattered.
Part of this, I believe is due to wanting and NOT wanting to come back to the States ASAP. Knowing I would love to see everyone again, but realizing I have no home of my own and the professional goals will have been compromised. Regret would immediately displace any satisfaction of my return and I'd want to come back. Not saying I plan on staing here foreve, heck no, I just waant to prove to myself I can make it now. But, saying and doing are of couse different things. Tomorrow, I would be convinced of an ealy departure or not. I do tend to talk to God at these times.
Saturday morinings are my hiking times. Time for myself, a little away, from village and time for myself to think and/or pray. I usually end up giving myself a pep talk or rationalizing my continued presence here. These mornings are sometimes...[next part is missing because of damaged letter.] (There are) 2 penticostal, and numerous mosques in my town. At the 3 Christian Churches the servon is in Moore(local language) where as the mosques are, of course, Arabic. I've gone to the Catholic one a few times when I'm in town, but have kept to myself. Because for me, Church has always been about me and God, not socializing. That's probably one of the reasons I didn't like any of the Protestant Churches in the States. Wveryone in each other's face before and after the service, never gave any personal time w/God. They annoyed me to say the least.
I really like the time to pray before Mass starts in a Catholic Church. It's like prep time for God. Despite a few differences I have w/the Church, I do prfer it's style of prayer.
Anyway, this Sunday I'm going to the pentacostal church to check it oul Some firends invited me. Should be lots of singing and such and absolutely no peace. Well, hopefully, I'll get some peace on my Satuday morning hike. That's it for now. Hope this finds you well. Take care.
Love,
Laura

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home