Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Happy Holidays!

Hey guys, I know it's been a while, but it's for a good reason. I've actually been buzy and that's good right? Well, I sent out some letters about 10 days ago, and some from a previous batch actually got returned for bad addresses(sorry dave). So, I'm trying to get a few more out before the holidays to wish you all good times and good spirits. I did get a few very pleasant surprised in the mail when I arrive a couple days ago. Some excellent friends and family sent some very welcome care packages. My dear sailing club friends Jen and Frank sent an awesome package filled with letters, mags and goodies. I received another thoughtful package from Dave, Elena and their friend Alex. A cool associate of Dave's who felt like joining in on the fun and generosity. Thanks so much! The chocolate covered blueberries were an incredible treat that I shared with many other volunteers(just too good to have alone). The hairpins are just what I need now that my hair has grown back! You guys are great!
I also received a package from my very thoughtful, cool, super sis, Kathy and her husband Donny. The books look great and arrived just in time as my reading list was getting low. The chocolate goodies made many a folk grown with envy, until I shared the little debbie treats. YUM.
It was an excellent way to start the month of December and the holiday season and I'm very grateful. I'm always humbled when I get the packages you all send, and more than once have people mentioned, "man, your family/friends love you!"
I usually tell them, that "I'm just soooo cool, of course." But, I really know I'm about the luckiest person around to have the friend and family that I do.

Okay, besides that, you might be wondering what the heck I've been doing for the past month or so. Well, I planned on saving the world by Thanksgiving but that got put on hold due to a hangnail and PMS. Soooo, I guess I'm going to have to reschedule that for next month after New Years, because of the required hangover. In between bouts of digestive caca(literally) and moments of motivation(figuratively). I really did get some work done.

I think last I blogged was during our mid-service training that was supposed to motivate and celebrate our successes. Wellll, unfortunately, it didn't quite do that for me, but thankfully wasn't the only one who felt that way(Misery looooves company). Realizing that I wasn't the only one who didn't think they were the PeaceCorps volunteer we all romanticize about, actually made me feel better about some of the situations I've had to deal with so far. Any way, I've gotten a little better perspective on my service so far and there's nothing left to do but continue on.
Sooo, what work have i been doing? Well, I have been showing a HIV/AIDS video and doing sensibiizations around my village, the schools, and the market. It's a video made for, by, and in Africa countries. It consists of small sketches that last about 4-8 minutes and each confront a different aspect of dealing with HIV/AIDS. It's a really good discussion tool and villagers love to watch whatever TV they can a chance at. I've gotten some local guys to lead the discussions who've I worked with before and it's been a decent experience, well, except for the guy I've had to rent the equipment from to use at all the locales. Having to wake him up at 1pm to go to work doesn't endear me to him at all.
I've also been training local literate villagers on how to do proposals themselves in order to search and carry out projects for their communities themselves. It's taking a little more time than I scheduled but it still has some good potential.

Work at the Clinic with the head nurse and pres of the health committee is status quo. No real change except they have started to make the mud bricks on which to repair my house that fell down. So that's progress. I should hopefully return to my original house by January.

Other good news, I have neighbors!!! the closest is now only 25k away and the next is 30k. Very cool. I'm excited to have these guys around and hopefully we'll be to get some really good collaboration within our village going. I met them all this last week and they all seem nice and good company.

Next thing going on is computer training for the villagers doing the proposals and finalizing the proposals for potential NGO's. After that I plan on going to Ghana for Xmas, no details on that yet. I'll write some more tomorrow hopefully, but it's late and I need sleep. Thankfully, another buzy day tomorrow too. Take care for now and Happy Holidays!!!!
L

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home