Thursday, January 11, 2007

Leter to Kurt and Deb in Indiana

Dear Kurt and Deb, 9 Dec 06

Hey guys, how’s it going? Hope this letter gets to you in good condition. There’s been a rash of bad envelopes w/ my letters and they’ve been disintegrating during transit. How have tricks been? How’s Sophia? I bet she’s just about that age where she’s scary smart, right? She’ll be one to contend w/ if her parents are any indication.:-) Hope both of your work is doing well. Work here is progressing and getting slightly better this second time around. The dry season is here.
I actually just began working w/ a theater group here in my village. I’m not really doing anything. Their in charge and making decisions. I’m just cheering them along. They’ve got potential, but lasting power remains to be seen. I really hope they can do it. They’ll be doing small skits on local health themes, like AIDS, Malaria and the whatnot. Incorporating comedy in the themes and the same time giving a message. That format usually works for African crowds here. I would love it if the became sustainable. That would be very cool, but a little too much to hope for just now. Step by step, maybe.
I was making an indulgent list of things I wanted to do once I got back to the states. After the holidays and visiting everyone again, I wrote down some options for schooling that I might be interested in. They were: Technical training school (welding, carpentry, Massage Therapy, Graduate School for Urban Development, and Art School. If you notice 3 of the 4 things I wrote had to do with manual manipulation. Maybe I should take that as an indicator. All except the Grad School in Urban Development, I’ve been interested in all my life. I wrote the grad school, it was something I felt I should do. I still can, but it won’t be on my priority list for the first year or so. I don’t regret what I’ve done so far, but the 3 others are stuff I’ve put off a long time, and when I get back I might as well do one or all of them. My parents and family will think I’m nuts, but I’m sure they wont be surprised. Not after all the left field decisions I’ve made so far. “Hey Mom, I’m joining the military!”, “hey dad, I’m separating from the military and joining the Peace Corps and I’m going to Africa!” Telling my folks “Mom, Dad, I’m taking a welding class and carpentry 101 will be a huge relief to them I think. They won’t even bat an eye.
I still think Grad School would be cool, but only for the right reasons. I’ve actually started day dreaming about designing my future. Ya know, making those technical class and art school work together. Who knows, obviously I don’t, not yet at least :-)
That’s it for now. Hope this letter gets to you in one piece and finds you both well. Have a great Holiday Season!
Take care,
Always
Laura

1 Comments:

At 5:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great work.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home