Sunday, December 17, 2006

Letter to Tom + Miriam dated 18 Nov 06

Dear Tom + Miriam

Hey guys, how's it going? I know its been a while since I've written and I've been sitting on several letters meant for people in the states, but have been lazy about getting them posted.

The past few weeks have been busy and I'll give that as my main reason for not writing or posting on the blog. The last weekend of October I went to Ouaga to try get some last minute paperwork for a proposal finished and while I was in town I went to SIAO. SIAO is a french acronym for something artisan but try to give a brief description is better. Its an inter-Africa art show. From almost every country in Africa, artisans come and display, selling exchanging their local art, products, and jewelry. It’s a pretty big deal and only happens once every two years and always in Burkina. Why Burkina(?) no clue but its been here every edition and they actually do a pretty good job. The center its held at is impressive by Burkinabe standards. Its modern, its clean and the selection of various brochette stands is excellent. The array of items was initially boggling, but after a thorough run through, the duplicates items were everywhere. The prices were barterable + I don't think I got ripped off too heavily for what I bought. I've become too stingy w/ my money here, so I parted reluctantly w/ what I had, so there'll be no boxes of African art flooding American doorsteps anytime soon. Frankly, because the quality of items just wasn't that impressive. Nonetheless, if was neat to see the different countries + their items displayed. Some of the really real things, like sculptures, in brass were too impractical to send anyway.

I did decide to go to the adjacent site of the Burkinabe Artisan Village located next door to the SIAO site. Many of the same items at SIAO come from this adjacent site, but at the village they're cheaper. There were some Taureg artisans there that do some interesting work w/ leather covered boxes that a friend of mine is getting a rather large chest made from. Having [a] chest made, depending on the design + material, can go from $150 to $300 (and above). I figured why not have one made for my self + use it as checked baggage for my departure. So I ordered one to be made w/a drawer at the bottom + a flat top in case of need as a coffee table or such. It'll cost me about $200 and hopefully w/ come out well. I'll take a picture of it when its finished in about 2 weeks. The Artisan village will probably be where I go for things to bring back to the states w/ me next time. Well, I hope this letter found you both well + happy in Wisconsin. Have either [of] you gotton to sail w/ Mark + Joy yet?

I'm contemplating on trying to visit again next June, but it'll depend if I have enough vacation time saved.

Well, that's enough for now. Hope you're doing well + say to Jayne + Steve for me. Take care.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home