Sunday, June 24, 2007

Letter to Joy and Mark (dated May 25)

Dear Joy and Mark,
Hey guys, how's it going? I know it's been a while since I wrote, but I just wanted to say hi and thank you for all the packages you sent in my time here. They really meant a lot. The book that you sent, "The Wisdom of No Escape," was, and still is, a great book to have. I read a chapter a day and they usually got me through some tough days. Especially days I didn't want to face. I passed the book around to some neighboring volunteers who I thought might need it. I'm not quite sure of their impression and usage, but I think it could only help. It was just returned after some months in circulation and I find myself reading it a chapter per day, not out of need, but to gain new insights. So thanks again!

As you may or may not know, I'm almost done! Woo Woo. But, funnily enough, I've considered extending my time here a couple months, but I'm not sure the bureau would agree to that. I'm sorry I didn't get to see you last time I was in the states, but I hope your annual retreat to the tropics was as pleasant as ever. How many years have you gone there now? Well, hopefully when I get back later this year, I'll get to catch up with you guys.

The other day I was thinking of all the little things that helped me get by or just made my life a little easier here. Besides your book, I found a few things. One: my shower douche. Yeah, that's right. It's 99 cents at Walmast and comes in various pastel colors, but here it's worth its weight in gold. Besides using a brillow pad, there is nothing better to get all the dirt and sun lotion off your skin at the end of the day. Two: my Ipod. Yeah, it's flashy, but also a golden treasure of relaxation and entertainment. Mine's 30 GB, with about 3700 songs, stand-up, and audio books on it. The stand-up tracks are always nice during lunch (Margaret Cho, Eddie Izzard, and Ron White). Three: a do-it-all kitchen knife that my friend Bert sent me. It's some German brand and it kicks ass. I get repeated compliments on it whenever anyone else uses it. It's so sharp, still, and I've never sharpened it. A real gift that keeps giving. Four: Grant and Farah sent me a case of canned chili with a really nice can opener. That can opener, compared to what's available here, really kicks ass too. Five: my tropic screen. It's essentially a two-pole tent that's really just a mosquito net. It's so essential, especially right now during hot season where sleeping indoors is just stifling. Definite must-have in a third world country.

Let me clarify the numbering is in no particular order, because above all else, by far, the support by my friends and family is truly the main element in my ability to maintain my work here. The letters, packages, and phone calls have meant everything to me. The stuff listed above is a little bit of FYI for those who wonder what little things help each and every day as I live and work in Africa.

That's it for now. Take care and thanks again.

Always, Laura

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home