Saturday, March 25, 2006

Letter to Jen and Frank, 4 Mar 2006

Dear Jen and Frank,

Hey guys, hope you're having a good 2006. Mine has improved a bit over the last month. I think mostly due to the fact that I'm busier. The days where I had no appointments felt like forever, but my current schedule for the month of March has me traveling a bit and getting prepared for a big project in April. So, I'm content at the moment. I hear stories of volunteers that literally do nothing for the entire 2 years here. They sat at home, reading how-to books or just not working with anyone. Sounds impossible by normal work standards, but our jobs are so autonomous, we really only HAVE to talk to our bosses once every 3 months and that's it. Our jobs don't have any measuring standards or solidified goals to attain. We don't have to train a certain number of people or do a certain number of projects. In fact for some volunteers the goal of simply surviving is their ultimate goal while they're here. I have to admit, that yes, that's one of my goals, but it doesn't give me reason to stay.

My main reason for staying is that I'm just plain ornery, but what helps me day to day is just getting stuff done. Planning activities and doing them has kept me going and has kept me reasonably content.

My village has begun to accept me a bit more and is willing to do some of the ideas I suggest. Which is nice to see, but I think they are still waiting for me to bring a bucket full of money to pass out to everyone. Well, I hand out chewing gum, that's enough for now.

I really can't imagine just living here without doing something with the community and then just leaving. Seems absurd, but some volunteers do just that.

You'd think the caliber of person who joins the Peacecorps is pretty high, and thus you could trust other volunteers easily. Unfortunately not so, when I arrived last August, I guess there was a volunteer who had been stealing other volunteers' stuff at the hostel in the capital city. There's a hostel that's for volunteers only and it's a nice place to stay and relax while away from village. Anyhoo, this volunteer(there were some ideas on who) stole Ipods, cellphones, and money while staying at the hostel. Pretty shitty if you ask me. Ipods? What and who the hell is that person gonna sell an Ipod while here in Burkina:? Like 10% of the country has electricity and I bet even less know what one is. Anyhoo, this person has supposedly left and everyone has chilled again at the hostel, but it's definitely left a bad taste in people's mouth about trusting other volunteers.

Ah well, that's it for now. Have you gone skiing lately? How's everyone out in Cali? Oh, FYI, my sister, Kathy just had a new baby. His name is Kenneth Allen, pretty good name I think. That makes 9 nieces and nephews. I'll never need to have children now. :)

Tell Frank I said "Hi" and I hope he gets his passport soon so you both can come visit me. :) Take care. Hopefully see you soon.

Always,
Laura

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home