Saturday, April 29, 2006

To Jayne & Steve March 8, 2006

Hey guys, How's it going? FOr th last 3 weeks things have been going pretty well & I have been enjoying myself a little bit while in village. Today however, was the 1st time I couldn't hold back crying.

Today is the national holiday for women of Burkina. A day of celebration of the women & fun activities. There was a footrace, a discussion on financial education & a traditional dance. All great & informative things, however, I just came back from a luncheon where the women still couldn't sit in the place of honor & they still had to serve the men. I also just finished a soccer game of women versus the service leads of each dept. of To. I played with the women & I hoped that some would know how to play a little. Not so much.

They've been denied the right to play all their lives & in this spectacle, they're supposed to play against men who've played all their lives. I know this game is a farce, but the little things got me even worse. The men's team had uniforms & shoes to play in, while the women had random shirts 7 most played with no shoes. Being toyed with, wasn't even a question, but I tried playing a litttle bit, but it soon became pointless to try. This position was so foreign to me while playing soccer that it caught me off gaurd. I knew getting angry would do nothing, so I tried to find enjoyment & I couldn't cause I saw how huge a gulf these women have to overcome to be taken seriously. Realizing the vast cultural difference in the middle of the game, I became incredibly sad at once.

I lost my joy of playing soccer at that moment. I couldn't breathe. The joy of sharing a play would never be experienced here, because the men would never think of me as worthy to play seriously. I grew nauseous & felt dead all at once. I decided to ask for a substitute & sit the rest of the game out claiming fatigure.

I sat on the sidelines as a few tears leaked out my eyes. Still, I resisted breaking down completely. I wasn't crying for me, I was crying for these women & the treatment they'll never get, but deserve wholeheartedly. The game gratefully ended & I walked quickly home. I got the door open & let a sob finally escaped. I've cried until I finally started writing this letter in the hopes to improved my mood. It has a little, but I'm not quite ready for company.

I honestly don't know if I will play soccer here again, the idea has no appeal to me. However, my respect for the women of Burkina has definitely been lifted a few notches. My trivial trails of sexism are nothing compared to the women of consequence here.

- LATER ON:

I ended up going to the clinic to see what was going on before I headed to the bar to dance & had a surprising conversation with my major (nurse). I walk in & sit down expecting ribbing about the game, but instead I hear the chief nurse (my major) and a member of the health committee complaining how the game was too ridiculous & how women will never be really appreciated with expositions like that. I was suitably surprised by his enlightened perspective, with no goading by myself. He stated much of my frustration. My earlier feelings were being soothed & hope again began beating in my chest. My spirits restored, I felt maybe the newer generations may have the potential for new direction & aspirations for women. After that short conversation, I felt renewed & ready to dance. Which I did until midnight. The roller coaster of a day at least ended on a higher note.

That's all for now, thake care & I hope you all are doing well.

Miss You!
Hopefully see you in June
Always,
Laura

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home