Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Letter to Kathy at Christmas

Sorry All - I am late in getting this posted.

Dear Kathy,

I'm sorry your going to get your X-mas present late, but I didn't plan well enough last time was in Ouago to get it sent. I was also sick one day so that cut into some of my time. I hope you like your African version of a Moo-Moo, but I think it's pretty funky so I hope you enjoy. Actually people wear these all over outside the house here, so feel free to do the same:)-- (She sent me a beautiful dress that is kind of a green marbled fabric - Mom says they use leaves to make the patterns - that is embroided on the top - VERY COOL - I will be wearing it in Wisconsin).

How's Ohio treating you? Oh, have you had your baby yet? How's that going? I work at the maternity here 3 days a week, just helping fill out forms to make things go a little quicker when it gets busy. However, I expressed an interest in watching a child-birth and mid-wives said yes and even offered to let me do one. Ha! How scary is that! They said they're gonna teach me how to do it. Oh my God!! Cool eh? I'm sure, I'm going to puke while watching or helping with the 1st one, so I'll let you know how it goes:). I've seen quite a bit working with the clinic here so far, it's a wonder what will come in next.

For example, 2 days ago a young man walked in with a growth literally the size of a bowling ball on the back of his right shoulder blade. Like, it just popped up there and he decided that day he should probably get it checked out. Crazy. People don't want to waste money coming to the clinic on small stuff, so they wait until it's really serious and then end up spending a bunch more or die. Prevention isn't even a thought for some folks.

I have to express how much next June is a huge goal for me. Paul's wedding and my vacation in the states with family, I am sooooo looking forward to. Almost too much, it's scary. So now I've decided not to think about it all the time, because then I get reminded of how long it is from now. Let's just say, I'll need the break after 11 months of being here. Oh yeah, and when I'm in the states I am eating only meat and vegetables and I reserve the right to have 5 brauts while we are in Wisonsin, no buns. It'll be anti-climatic to my dreams. Anyhoo, enought of that.

How's the pregnancy going? How's Sarah and Donnie? Good I hope, with no problems.

Thinking about needing a break from is funny because my days aren't hectic or overwhelmingly busy. They're just days of being in forgein country alone with a little work to do that may or may not do some good. The frustrations get amplifieda bit by being here alone, but it't truly a test of adaptablity and definitely not of so much skill. Patiencen has been important, but I've run out of that a few times already.

The worst times have been the days I let myself stay at home and di nothing but think or read. They're deceptive in their secure feelings, but insideous when it comes to feeling a lack of purpose in being here. And, sometimes I've definetly felt that way. But the good this, I go outside and visit folks, and I feel a lot better about being here, which is what I'm going to do now. Happy New Year and Late Merry X-mas. Take care.

Love Laura

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home