Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Letter to the Hedlund's - 3/30/06

I've found myself thinking of so many things to write, but lacking the motivation to put them down on paper. Or when I try, I get writer's block and forget the fabulous train of thought that gave the impulse to pick up a pen to begin with.

In general my thoughts have been good, but the trend lately has changed as a result of frustrations. However, this letter I would like to keep positive and reflect on some good.

The weather in the last few weeks has been decidedly warmer with a bit of humidity thrown in. Not that any of that is good, but it has brought a change in our ever monotonous weather. It brought us our first real rain in over 6 months. The first since I've been here and the first real proof that time doesn't stand still around here :) The rain was preceded by a powerful light show, with gloriously trumpeting thunder, quickly followed by a somewhat violent dust-storm that blanketed everything inside my house, despite the shutters being closed. The wind turned cool and then the rain came. The beautiful, rejeuvenating rain! The tapping on my tin roof heralded it's arrival and I rushed outside to feel the moisture.

No such downpour that pelted the body and made you gasp, but gentle, like a thousand sweet kisses that go too quickly to last. It could have been somewhat anti-climatic considering the blustery introduction, but the mere fact it continued for 3-4 hours quite satisfied me.

I brought out my plastic chair and sat outside in the rain for a good 30 minutes, enjoying the chill and goosebumps on my arms. I, of course, tasted the drops and wished for more.

Despite the excitement outdoors, I couldn't sleep there, so I sequestered myself inside my stuffy, hot house. The pleasure of falling asleep to rain overhead overrode the displeasure of sweat that dripped down my neck and head while sleeping. Around 1AM, I awoke in a pool of collected perspiration, but the rain had stopped. I gathered my things and headed outdoors to the cool night.

The next 4-5 hours, I slept like a baby. Despite the donkey's regular wake-up call, my day was decidedly brighter. Lord, at this moment, if it rains all week in Wisconsin, I wouldn't mind a bit. No jinx intended :)

Hopefully, I'll see you all in June!
Love, Laura

(NOTE: Snapshots were included. I will try to get them posted as soon as I can scan them!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home