Friday, April 28, 2006

Letter to Grandma - Mar 30, 06

I'm sitting in my hammock writing letters and watching my clothes dry on the line. Thankfully, the leaves have grown back on the one tree in my courtyard and there's plenty of shade to be had in the middle of the day. The tree is a karite tree. It grows plum sized green fruit that is not for eating. They take the oil of the seed and fruit to make something akin to vaseline, but better. The product is the only thing that seems to take care of my poor feet in this dry, dry weather.

I've tried foot cremes, vaseline, and other soothing balms to mend my cracked feet, but the "beure de karite" (karite butter) works absolutely. I think I'll bring some of that back with me for gifts in June if I can.

Today, it seems a bit overcast, but really it's the dust coming down from the north of the country and covers everything. The "overcast" cools off the temperature a little, giving a little respite from the sun directly, but all the dust brings colds and respiratory problems. My current cold won't be improving for a while I guess.

There is so much dust in this country, sometimes I think that's all there is here. I have shutters but no real means of keeping the dust out of my house. Thus after a day of cleaning, the next day all the dusting and cleaning is replaced by more dust. It's a constant battle and keeping things covered in order to keep them clean and edible. It finally rained for the 1st time in 6 months and I about did a little rain dance to keep it going.

The last couple days have been pretty slow, as you can tell, I'm catching up on my letters. So, I hope this find's you happy and healthy. I miss you a ton and can't wait to see you again.
Love always,
Laura

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home