Saturday, January 13, 2007

Letter to Joy and Mark (December 8)

Hey guys, got your really nice letter and have been lazy at writing you back. Hopefully this will get to you before the New Year (but I doubt it). Happy Holidays, regardless. Is there a big gathering this year as usual or no? I hate that I've missed so many of the big gatherings. I hope I can make them up when I get back.

So, how's this winter going? Frigid and freezing or warm and wet? Well, for me the winter season is a nice balmy 80-85 degrees during the day, I think, and about a chilly 60 degrees at night. I've adapted enough here that the nights really do seem chilly to me. I have been loving the weather lately. The villagers hate the cold and can't believe how I could enjoy the "chilly" 80 degree days. I keep telling them how it'd be nicer a little bit colder and they shiver at the thought. Ah well, I suppose I'd do the same if I lived here another 5-10 years.

Um, what else is going on... Ah, today while I was taking a walk around the village, I was meandering down a well worn path next to a large courtyard of houses. I came upon some kids, 3, I think, each age ranging 2, 3, and 5. Well, the two-year-old upon seeing me, Madame Whitey, goes ballistic and starts screaming his head off. He grabs the 3-year-old and forces the 3-year-old's body between me and his, thinking he's hiding. They're all still on the path, so I'm still walking and coming closer as this 2-year-old is having a conniption. The other two kids are just in awe, so they're just staring (which is normal). I get right up to the kids on the path and the 2-year-old fully freaks out and falls back pulling the 3-year-old on top of him for further protection from the big bad whitey. I couldn't help it, I start laughing my ass off, which probably scared him even more. Next thing I notice all the mothers of this grand courtyard are looking over the wall, laughing their heads off, too. So, I didn't feel *too* bad.

Honestly, little kids reaction to me like that are common. I can't help but laugh anymore. It's rare to find any kids here between the ages of one and four who, upon seeing me for the first time, aren't scared shitless. The days we do large-scale vaccinations against things like polio, oh my, I should bring ear plugs. I walk into a courtyard and if I make any sudden moves or walk toward any child, forget it. That child will need 3 adults to hold him down for the vaccination. That's why I solely log the numbers and age. Kids wouldn't come near me. I found out recently why. All the mothers tell their little kids if they don't behave a Nasara will come and take them. Nasara being me. I guess this is something all mothers do and have done for years. So, I have that going for me, which is nice.

Okay, that's it for now. Hope you have a great holiday season. Take care.

Always, Laura

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home