Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Dear Kathy & Donnie

This is Laura's letter to the Kight's. Sorry it took so long to get it posted.

Aug 23, 2005

It's been just over 3 weeks in country and time goes slowly. This letter may paint a duller picture, for I'm nauseous from some food eaten earlier today. To an extent I've distanced myself from the other volunteerin my group. Unfortunately I find no affinity fo their company. A few of the Girls Empowerment trainees I would perfer to hang out w/ but they are on opposite schedules and the likelihood of seeing them is rare.

The gact I have no buddy to stick with doesn't bother me as much as I thought it would, but I keep myself busy w/ letters, books and sketching.

This will be my bitch-letter. The last ones I've written have been in good spirits, but today my ruminations have been tainted by my stomach.

Speaking of stomach, the food here sucks. There are four different kinds of food- rice, beans, millet and goat. Desserts have no place in Burkina and I find myself becoming addicted to any sweet confection I can find. Chocolate - Real Chocolate doesn't exist. Fruit is rare and meat is always questionable. The other night my family killed a bird from a tree and served it to me w/rice. My family eats one thing only - really. It's called to^ and it has the consistency of soft sand and looks like it too. My diet has had a major shift. I'm still adjusting.

The redeeming factors above all are the people and the work. They are w/out a doubt genuinely friendly and open to our presence. The job will be frustrating , but worthwhile I believe.

Aug 28
I had to stop for a few days due to classes and moving back and forth between villages. Right now, my health is good and so is my mood. Things are progressing and I can see good things ahead.

Today, by the way, I shaved my head. HE HE. It looks pretty good and everyone here likes it, so I think I'll keep it for awhile. It's actually about 1/2 inch long but it feels soo different and cooler, due to the heat. Tell everyone, I hope to hear from them soon, still no mail recieved here. Take care,

Love Laura

1 Comments:

At 2:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home