Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Raven (Letter to Hedlund's - May 3, 06)

I'm burning up what time I can by making up work to do. Today I hitched a ride to Leo (45 km away) to drop off a piece of paper (quarterly report) and come back. Took a lot longer to do than I planned, but I didn't really mind. I don't have anything pressing here to do. In this letter, I think, I'm going to write about my dog, Raven. She is quite a fixture in my life here so, I suppose, I should write about her.

Raven was the previous volunteer's dog and I have thus inherited her affections. I don't really take care of her, she dines at my neighbor's house, but she frequents my home almost daily. She unabashedly likes white people as proven when the other volunteers came, she almost wagged her tail off in ecstasy. I believe it's because she associates only white people with any source of affection. She is an affection slut when she's near me, be she knowingly expects a kick or punch from any of the locals.

She is a locally concocted breed of domesticated wild dog. Genetically, I find her amazing in her traits. She's tireless, unbelievably quick and unbothered by the heat. She's had a litter or two, but she doesn't have the tired tits of a bitch after too many. She's tireless in the realm of following me for 20 km without water or stopping. Fast in comparison to any animal I've seen, she turns on a hidden gear and she reminds me of a cheetah. This dog is truly built for this climate and environment.

I think sometimes of bringing her back to the States, but I can see how the freedom she has to roam here, despite it's harshness, may be better suited for her than the collared existence of the US.

She is a good companion to have. One of the few relationships, I believe, where she won't ask me for money or a gift. Just a pat on the head or a scratch on the belly.

She's also quite entertaining when she accompanies me on walks around the village. She likes to fuck around with all the different animals around town. She'll chase after goats, chickens, sheep, donkeys, etc. just for kicks. It's pretty funny how she'll upset a herd of goats and seemingly scamper off smiling. I tend to hum "Fuck with the animals" to the tune of "Talk with the animals" as she does her business.

I do prefer her company over the cat's anyday. I would like to spend more time with a dog like that in the States when I get back. Maybe a little one that can ride on the motorcycle with me :)

Needless to say, Raven is a pretty good dog, despite never being put on a leash. She's a constant companion that I'll miss when I have to leave.

That's enough for now. Hope that painted a little more of a picture of my day to day life. Take care and see you soon!
Love,
Laura

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home