Sunday, July 02, 2006

Vacationing in the states

Hey kiddies, I know I've been lax in posting in my supposed easy environment of the states, but I've actually been too buzy enjoying family and friend to post much. But I will let you know some of my antics of the last couple weeks for those who are wondering.
Okay, I left Ouagadougou at 330AM on the 16th and traveled through Casablance, New York, and ended in Chicago. Reverse sequence for the ride home. I arrived in Chicago same day due to time changes at 815pm. My tickets were slightly screwy btwn NY and Chicago, but they should be alright now.
I arrived and was graciously met at the airport by Mariam and Tom, two buds from college. They spirited me away from the airport to the near Marriott hotel where we met up with Steve and Jayne, also of the Iowa Sailing Club variety. We all checked in and chilled for a bit as I winded down from the 20hrs of traveling and sleepless 36 hours. Adrienne and Rodney, great friends from the military, arrived about 2 hours after we did and met the reps from the sailing club and got comfortable. After everyone got comfortable, I was told I fell asleep as Adrienne was in the middle of a conversation with me, to no fault of her own.
The next morning, thanks to malatonin, I was up, perky and ready to go..at 0600AM. Unfortunately no one else was, so I entertained myself sitting on the balcony looking at the gorgeous pool we would soon be enjoying and thanking God for all his blessings.
We migrated from the hotel and headed to a walkable greasy-spoon called Mack's and enjoyed a very hearty, heavy, and delicious breakfast. I was somewhat overwhelmed by the portions, the speed of service, and the rapidity we were finished and out the door. I was still used to 2 hour meals. Leaving there, everyone being incredibly accomidating, let me decide where to go, so I said I needed essentials and would like to go to the shopping mecca of Target. Pretty exiting, I know, but I would soon be overwhelmed after arriving. Sooo much stuff, soo many choices. I had to sit and study every aisle I happened to be in. Often I found myself slack jawed with the plethora of choices I asked Adrienne to help me figure out what to buy. The common theme of the day was everyone waiting on me, patiently. We then went to a grocery store. OMG, it was incredible. I headed to the fruit and vegetable section and just gawked. There were rasberries and blackberries I had to buy and eat before we left the parking lot. Delicious. We stocked up on Alchohol and goodies and prepared to have a easy day by the pool with our floaties. Very nice relaxed afternoon, which was only marred by my anxiousness to have Chinese Buffet. Finally about 330pm, we headed to a highly recommended joint and I was bouncing off the walls in excitement. Let's just say I really enjoyed the meal, but the conversation was even better.
We then headed to the movies where we saw Cars,(cute) and then headed back to our rooms to crash. Adi and Rod left early to get back home and prep for movers, while the rest of us hung out in the rooms and chatted, played cards by the pool, until Kurt arrived in his biking gear glory. Jayne and Steve went home shortly afterwards while Tom, Miriam, Kurt and I hung out and caught up over lunch. During which I demonstrated Burkinabe style of eating with Kurt's spanish rice. The waiter wasn't impressed. After Tom and Miriam departed, we decided to go for a motorcycle ride intially looking for strip clubs, finding none, we settled for a Irish themed pub obviously owned by Russians(we were the only English speaking couple). They had good buffalo wings. We called it an early night in order to get up early the next day to head south to Taylorville.
The next morning we hopped on his beautiful Honda and said goodbye to Chicago for Taylorville. The ride was pleasant and easy. The fields of corn and beans surrounded by a rainbow array of prairie flowers never looked so pretty. The bike ride took about 4 hours and we got into T-ville in time for a late lunch on the back porch of my parents house. Kurt got to meet both folks again, along with my brother Joe. After visiting for a while he had to head home and back to his hectic job, but it was a really nice visit.
I'm really grateful to everyone who did come to Chicago, it made for such a nice homecoming, you guys are too nice for words.
I spent the next 3 days in T-ville doing errands and keeping surprisingly buzy visiting and doing my taxes, etc. My family then headed up to Wisconsin for my cousin's Paul's wedding in which nearly everyone from my mother's side of the family attended. It was fantastic to see everyone and the wedding went beautifully. Chicken dance anyone? The following week I spent with my mother's family up in Waupaca on the Chain of Lakes. Spending the week teasing and causing all the children to cry, just like in village(it's a gift). During the week, a few cousins and I went canoeing, boating, and wakeboarding. We also made smores, had brats cooked in beer(YES!), played charades, went for long walks, chated about life and enjoyed the sunsets. It was quite a buzy week that flew by.
Currently I'm spending some time at my sister house in Oconomowoc getting ready to return to Burkina. I spent about $100 on candy and other goodies for my fellow volunteers. I'll leave tomorrow and arrive in Ouaga on the morning of the 4th of July, in time to celebrate our national holiday on foreign soil. It aught to be fun.
Well that's a quick and dirty summation of my 2 weeks in the states, I'm getting ready to head back, but my next post will have photos from my vacation. I'll post those toute de suite. Later

2 Comments:

At 1:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very pretty design! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
»

 
At 5:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Somehow, I just get the feeling that somebody,somewhere is getting course credit for posting comments to blogs.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home