Thursday, October 06, 2005

Dear Bert & Laura

Hey, How's it going? Hope you guys are doing well. Africa is hot, surprisingly. and really slow. Most of my activity during the day includes swatting flies away from my face. My days are getting better as I get more accustomed to the culture, food and microbes. The food sucks and I can't avoid the food, culture or microbes so I adapt.

The culture here is quite fascinating and extremely gentile but time passes slower than I've ever experienced. I keep busy by writing letters and sketching.

I miss folks from the states quite a bit, but I heard about the disaster in New Orleans and we're all shocked here as well. I'm listening to the BBC news nightly to get any updates I can

My experience with the Peace Corps is varied. Sometimes I see flashes of common sense and progress and sometimes it seems e just another Govt agency piled high in bureaacracy. Unfortuantely at these times they tend to leave us high and dry inconveniently too. Nothing too drastic, just stuff that isn't thought out well logistically.

Just to complete my butch look, I have shaved my hair, but I'm also planning to get earrings, so that should set it off nicely. I totally see you laughing at all this, but I figure, it's Africa and it'll be 2 years, why not.

In a couple of days we'll find out where our assignments will be in country for the next 2 years. Everyone's a litlle anxious to know what and where the will be living. Regardles, it will be the boondocks of Burkina & you can't get more boondocks than that in the world.

Tell your folks I said "hi" and hope they're doing well. I forgot to write down their address so if you could pass on my information to them, I'd appreciate it. I gotta get back to class. Hope you stay safe and keep in touch. Mail is a hot commodity here, & I don't get internet. Take care

Always

Laura

4 Comments:

At 9:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Has anyone tried to call Laura on her cell? I have tried to call every day for a week and get a, this call cannot be completed in the country you are trying to reach.

 
At 8:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I tried 6 or 8 times. I actually got through once and could hear her saying "Hello? Hello?" for about a minute while i YELLED at her from my kitchen. I'll keep trying.
Mary Ann

 
At 10:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Laura,

Have a care package headed your way, let Kerry and I know if you get it.

Joe

 
At 12:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I called and got through - we talked for about a little while. It was great to hear her voice, but there is a time delay so you have to talk very slowly,
Good Luck!
Adrienne

 

Post a Comment

<< Home